mardi 29 mai 2012

Attending the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio +20)

By Michael Ross (FNQLSDI)

Between June 20th and June 22nd, I will participate in the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I was recently looking at their website and saw that one of the subtitles for their event is "the future we want". This got me thinking of what I want for all First Nations throughout the world, for myself as a member of an Innu First Nation and what I wish to leave my future Innu kids and grand-kids. 

·         I want governments to recognize that First Nations have ancestral rights, including the aboriginal title and a special connection to the land;
·         I want First Nations to participate as equals in the management of territory, natural resources and the environment;
·         I want First Nations to protect and keep their distinct cultures and their special connection to the territory;
·         I want First Nations to have similar living conditions, access to education and health services as other Canadians have;
·         I want to be able to keep hunting and fishing traditionally and teach my kids the Innu traditions to respect the animal and harvest sustainably;
·         I want the future generations, regardless of their descent, to be able to enjoy what nature has to offer and not only with regards to the exploitation of natural resources.

My current observations make me think that the way things are going with regards to First Nation rights and the pace at which the territory is being developed, none of these wishes will see the day. So, why am I attending the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio? I want to make sure that I raise the awareness of the people I will meet with regards to First Nations rights, traditions and culture as well as make allies for future projects that can help us at the FNQLSDI make sure that "the future First Nations want" is respected and will happen.   

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire